Friday, January 2, 2015

New Year

Well it's a new year so it seems like an appropriate time to get back in the swing of this blog. It combines journaling and pictures and writing which are all things I like.

We tried a new thing and let the kids stay up to ring in the new year! It was all fun, but I was tired. I had a bunch of balloons and inside each balloon was a fun activity for us to do. We made cupcakes, created a time capsule, made snacks, played Mario Kart 8, played Apples to Apples, and had silly string and confetti poppers. Cody stayed awake until 11:40, which was shocking to me! He totally knew it was a party and didn't want to miss a thing. I fell asleep while playing Apples to Apples and the kids had to wake me up to tell me I won. Yeah, fun mom right here. I also nodded off while holding a sleeping Cody, but who wouldn't?  The memory was full on my phone, but I will try to post a few pictures.

Honestly, I always have mixed feelings about the New Year. It's all this pressure to set goals and achieve and sometimes it feels totally overwhelming. Plus, I'm never really ready for Christmas to be over. I read that the Twelve Days of Christmas originally started on Christmas (or was it Christmas Eve?), but as time went on the anticipation of Santa has caused us to start the celebrations and get ready earlier and earlier each year. I don't really have a problem with that, but I decided this year we will leave our Nativity set and tree up for the 12 days of Christmas and I won't feel guilty about it and we can just enjoy this Christmas season a little longer.

Here are some of my favorite things around the house.


The kids art projects. The Christmas ones are always the best.


Goodbye family Christmas tree we made with our handprints that looks nothing like the one on Pinterest. You make me happy and keep it real.


The kids admiring the musical snow globe/box collection. We gave them each their own this year, which increased our collection by 60%.



This shelf in the hallway was one I just kept piling stuff I wasn't sure where to put. I ended up adding some sparkling ribbon and old ornaments and it always brings a smile to my face when I walk past it. Joy sketched that wonderful newborn picture of Cody.

Sweet Cody playing with the Christmas nesting toys we gave Logan on his first Christmas. These toys always make the kids squeal with delight when we dig them out of the box each year. Thankfully, we haven't (permanently) lost any pieces yet!

This tinsel window became one of my favorite spots in the house. Maybe it's the sign I made on a whim or the tinsel the kids talked me into buying, but I'm dreading how lonely this window will look when it's all taken down.

A random thing I made with broken things.


Our advent tree. Each day we would read a story of Jesus' life from the scriptures and make an ornament to reflect what we learned. I looked forward to it each day and is such a gentle, cheery reminder of what the season is all about.


Goodbye little night light we made with our fingerprints. Goodbye beloved Christmas stories. We will miss you. Maybe next time you will rest on lovely shelves, as I have been meaning to paint these for some time.


Goodbye little Pete! Jessie and I had fun naming you and creating your little tinsel nest.


Goodbye Nutcracker from Grandpa and Grandma Chamberlain's collection! We will squeal with excitement when we see you in eleven months.

No comments:

Post a Comment